Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Highland Christmas

A very long overdue blog (I was waiting for my mom to send pictures but I'm not sure she will ever get around to it so I gave in!) As many of you know my mom visited over the Christmas holiday, in fact she got to Edinburgh the day before Zara and I returned from the Canaries. Happy Holidays indeed! We did Edinburgh up in major tourist style taking tours of Edinburgh Castle, going to church at St. Giles, walking the German Christmas Market, doing the Scotch Whiskey Experience (I'm actually starting to like Scotch Whiskey!), taking a Christmas on the Closes tour, and of course most importantly shopping Prince's street until we dropped! The weather while Mom was here was a little less nice it snowed A LOT and it would get just above freezing during the day and then the temp would drop overnight so we perfected our ice walking skills (well perfected might be a bit of an over statement...). One night while we were in Edinburgh we took in a screening of It's A Wonderful Life at the Cameo (an old cinema close to my flat...it's got draw curtains and everything!) I always thought I didn't like that movie but now I'm convinced it was just because I was made to watch before I can understand because it is as everyone always says incredible!

In addition to touring around Edinburgh we also took a day trip to St. Andrews which was beautiful and I found the perfect rain jacket that my mom bought as my xmas present woohoo. St. Andrew's was a beautiful University town but as always it was nice to return to Edinburgh and get ready for our Christmas excursion.

For Christmas weekend Mom and I booked a holiday package at a resort in Nairn (just east of Inverness if you know something of Scottish geography) and after a wee mishap with taking the train we made it to the beautiful sea town and Golf View Hotel which was incredible!!! Imagine hot breakfast every morning, afternoon tea, and four course meals every evening (except on Christmas when it was a five course lunch!) I could get used to this treatment. While most of the people there were a little older than us (yes that includes my mom) it just made me think "man am I ready for retirement!" All kidding aside it was a nice break and the town of Nairn was so pleasant we went shopping down the main street and everyone loved that Americans were visiting Nairn over Christmas (really makes you feel appreciated!).

Having mom over the holidays made it better that I wasn't at home with everybody else and we did get to skype with my sisters, dad, and mamaw over christmas so it was the best of both worlds! I certainly could get used to spending Christmas up in the Highlands!!

When I finally get pictures I will share! x

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chelsea
    best wishes from the town of Nairn, glad you
    enjoyed your stay.

    " Haste ye Back "

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chelsea,
    Your mom has certainly got good taste. Charlie Chaplin used to be a regular visitor to Nairn with his wife Oona and their children. It would have been beautiful under the snow during the winter. Come back in summer time and see our breathtaking beaches and golf courses.

    ReplyDelete