Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Little Help From My Friends

Last weekend Deirdre (one of my good friends from Gtown who is studying in Dublin) came to visit Edinburgh. Having someone from home around was really nice and also having some here to do touristy things with was good for me since I haven't been an Edinburgh tourist yet. Friday we met with another friend from Gtown for lunch and then toured the Scottish Parliament and went looked around outside (and at the gift shop of course!) Palace of Holyroodhouse where the Queen stays when she visits Edinburgh (which apparently is like twice a year so I'm hoping I'm going to get in on some Queen action!!). Friday evening my flatmates and I took Deirdre out on the town for a night of dancing which is always a good time...although my feet weren't crazy about it on the walk back. Saturday Deirdre and I did a 3 hour (free!) walking tour of Edinburgh which I was a bit skeptical about but it ended up being amazing! I learned all these cool facts about the city and where some famous expressions came from (including ripped off and shit-faced...you'll have to come to Edinburgh to learn those!) also learned about the guy Jekyll and Hyde is based off was Deacon Brody a Edinburgh locksmith. After our awesome free tour we decided to do a ghost tour in the evening to conclude our experience. Edinburgh is said to be one of the most haunted cities in the world and people regularly have encounters with ghosts. The ghost tour was quite spooky and we heard lots of stories of ghostly encounters and residents of Edinburgh's ghostly past (and our tour guide had a striking resemblance to Hagrid which just makes you know it's going to be good) although Deirdre, Zara, and I were hesitant to turn the lights off in the flat after we got back...and for the rest of the weekend. Monday Deirdre and I were suppose to go on a highlands tour but not enough people signed up :( so we decided to visit Portobello Beach instead. Portobello Beach is a little suburb of Edinburgh that's on the firth of forth (Deirdre even walked in the sea) and we had a delicious lunch looking over the sea, then headed back to home. Deirdre's visit made me realize that I should do more touristy things around Edinburgh I learned so much about the city in just the 4 days she was here...imagine what I could learn over the next year! Can't wait for more visitors I now have a full-sized air mattress (that Deirdre said was more comfy than my bed!) so come anytime you want!

1 comment:

  1. Is there room on that air mattress for me, your dad, Tim and Liz? 'Cause we're coming to do touristy stuff with you! Glad you got some practice in before we got there - the free walking tour sounds awesome! Can't wait to hang out with you, girlie!

    ReplyDelete